1+1/2 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1+1/2 cup baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1+1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tblspn orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup peanut butter
8 tsp crushed annato seeds or achiote paste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Great two baking sheets.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Seperately, combine sugar, peanut butter, and vegetable shortening.
- Beat in egg.
- Add orange juice, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Gradually blend the flour/powder ingredients.
- Pinch off inch-sized pieces of dough and roll into balls.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on the greased baking sheets.
- Powder a fork with flour, and flatten each ball with the back of a fork. For best results, make a crisscross pattern. Remember to re-powder the fork after each flattening.
- 11) Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 12) Transfer to wire racks to cool.