The Dragon Slayer
An Adaptation of the Original 3rd Edition Class by Adrian Paladino
Ability Requirements: Strength 14, Charisma 10
Prime Requisites: Strength
Races Allowed: Humans
Alignments allowed: Lawful neutral
Dragon Slayers are the order of champions devoted to the deity Dralose (or any War God of Lawful-good alignment). They have been charged by their deity with a duty to slay all evil dragons and they carry out this duty with an obsessive passion. Raiding Dragon nests and slaying Wryms is what slayers live for. The order trains them in the art of bringing down opponents much larger then themselves and secret technics taught only to slayers to help them defeat dragons. Members of the order are also blessed with powers by the great Dralose (or god) himself. One such power is an antimagic field that only affects Dragons spell like abilities. Dragon Slayers are the champions of Dralose (or god). Although not fighters they may still specialise in these weapons: Bastard Swords, Two-handed Swords, Long Bows, long swords, and battle-axes.
The Dragon Slayers are members of an elite warrior cult devoted to the extinction of the dragons of evil. They must be Lawful Neutral in alignment. Dragon Slayers use the same THAC0, experience table as paladins; however, they cannot turn undead, and receive their spells from different spheres of access. They also use the same HD and HP tables as Paladins.
The Dragon Slayers are under no jurisdiction of any kingdoms but follow their own set code of honour. They are all honest and live to serve their Preceptor.
All Dragon Slayers presided over by the Preceptor. They live in a small province bordering any elven kingdom (thus the DM can easily fit the Dragon Slayers into a world) and have a high respect for any elves. The original Kings Champion led a huge army against the evil dragons and conquered them in defense of their kingdom. After the battle the Kings Champion founded the Dragons Slayers order and eventually, over many centuries, the southern province where they were based became its own kingdom. Although they will come to defense to their former master they remain a largely independent ruling body.
Role: Dragon Slayers are uncommonly found outside of their province. Although uncommon, in times of peace Dragon Slayers are allowed to roam free although most choose to stay at home. At any one time there will be 1,500 dragons manning their many castles and outposts.
Weapon Proficiencies: Dragon Slayers begin with 4 weapon proficiencies and gain an additional proficiency slot every 3 levels of experience. They suffer a —2 penalty when using any weapon in which they are not proficient.
Typical weapons used by Dragon Slayers are Bastard Swords, Two handed Swords, Long Bows, long swords, and Black Powder weapons. They also use Lances and other mounted weapons.
Nonweapon Proficiencies: A Dragon Slayer gains a bonus nonweapon proficiency in herbilism, along with 3 initial nonweapon proficiency slots.
He or she gains another nonweapon proficiency slot for every 4 levels of experience. Many choose Riding, Land-based (horse) as one of their nonweapon proficiencies, although horse riding is not required of all Dragon Slayers.
Equipment: All dragon slayers are provided with a small amount of money to purchase equipment. Even though, all Dragon Slayers save for many years to buy a magnificent two handed sword worthy to take to the field with.
(1) The Dragon Slayer may employ any henchmen of any lawful alignment; good and evil are of no importance to the Slayer. A Dragon Slayer will cooperate with characters of evil alignment as long as they don’t get in the Slayer’s way; such cooperation will not be of long duration.
(2) A Dragon Slayer receives a +2 bonus to all saving throws vs. spells, rods, staves, or wands.
(3) Upon reaching 9th-level, a Dragon Slayer may apply for a permit to build his own fortress for the defence of the province.
(4) Dragon Slayers gain Wizard Spells at Lv. 6 using the paladin spell progression table, but substitute priest spells for wizard spells.
(5) Any Dragon Slayers with Strength over 16 gains an extra 10 per cent bonus on his/her experience. Any Dragon Slayers with Charisma over 16 gains an extra 10 per cent bonus on his/her experience. If the Slayer has both than he gains a 20 per cent bonus.
(6) If a Slayer holds back his/her attacks to study a dragon’s/wrym’s body for weak points then after 3 rounds of doing nothing but focussing on his foe’s body the Slayer gains +10 to his THAC0 and his damage/per level to his next attack. Eg. A sixth level slayer would add 16 (10 + his level) to his THAC0 and 60 (10 X his level) to his damage score. Note that this is ONLY for his next attack. We really should give the Dragon/Wyrm a sporting chance against this titan. He may do this once per week.
(7) A slayer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. Starting at level 2 if a slayer makes a successful dex check against an attack that would normally do half damage if saved, the Slayer takes no damage at all! Evasion can only be used if the Slayer is where light or no armour.
(8) The Sayer Sword is a Dragon Slayer’s most useful tool in his quest to free the world of evil brought about by evil dragons. Upon reaching 10th level, a dragon slayer will be blessed by Dralose (or god) in the form of a bastard sword materialising into his/her possession. Inscribed on it will be "Let me taste the heavens and then my duty." If the Slayer gets the sword blesses by a holy person and it comes into contact with evil dragon blood, it will instantaneously transform into a Slayer sword. The sword is not magical so much as it is a tool used to channel the power of a dragon slayer. When wielded by a slayer or the holy person who blessed it, the sword becomes a +6 holy/bane (dragons or Wryms) bastard sword and gives off light like a brilliant energy weapon when within 100f of a evil dragon.
A dragon slayer’s training in any advanced sword techniques allows him to wield a slayer sword one-handed.
Special Hindrances: All Dragon Slayers must give 25 per cent of all their treasure back to the Order until he repays the money he starts with. After that a small 10 per cent tithe is required.
Dragon Slayers have no ability to turn or control undead, they do not use holy swords, and they do not gain bonded steeds.
Wealth Options: 3d6 +2 x 10 gp to start.
All Dragon slayers follow this table when choosing his spells:
A Dragon slayer may choose from the clerical spheres of combat guardian, and protection. As well as these spheres he may choose from these spells.
1st: Endure Elements, Protection from Evil, Shield, Mage Armour, True Strike, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Reduce, Jump and Spider Climb.
2nd: Resist Elements, Melf’s Acid Arrow, Arcane Lock, Flaming Sphere, Obscure Object, Fog Cloud, Invincibility and Levitate.
3rd: Nondetection, Protection from Elements, Flame Arrow, Lightning Bolt, Displacement, Haste, Keen Edge.
4th: Locate Creature, Fire Shield, Improved invisibility, Polymorph other, Phantasmal Killer.
A Dragon Slayer’s caster level is half of his/her class level (rounded up). To cast a spell the Dragon Slayer must have at least a charisma score of 10 plus the spells level. So a good charisma score would be 14 because then the Dragon Slayer could cast all of his spells.
Note: Depending on the world the DM has created the elves may be hostile, evil or just don’t trust anybody but elves. In this case the DM may make them some new branch of an already existing knighthood of Lawful Good alignment or he could just ignore the elves all together.