Adolescents of the World
While Kender are the children of Krynn, Half-Kender are the adolescents. Half-Kender always walk the line between the world of Kender and the world of humans, never quite fitting in to either world.
Half-Kender have several traits of their kender parentage, but it does not dominate how they act. Half-Kender have a tendency to handle, for instance, but have a vague notion of ownership and property. The often return the items that they borrow. Half-Kender are free spirits, and have a certain amount of Wanderlust. They do tend to settle down after a while, though. Half-Kender are more cunning than Kender. Kender usually have no ulterior motive for what they do, while Half-Kender often do.
Physical Description: Half-Kender can often pass for adolescent humans. They average between 4 and 5 ½ feet in height, weighing around 90 – 130 pounds. Their hair and eye color is usually determined by the nationality of their human parent. Their ears can have a slight point, but it is easily concealed. Half-Kender tend to wear their hair long, but few will adopt the traditional kender topknot. Half-Kender males grow some facial hair, which never reaches a thickness beyond that of peach fuzz.
Society: Some half-kender will choose to eschew settlement all together and continue to wander on the outside edges of society their entire lives. Others try to fit in and throughforce of will are able to stay in one place. The most common settlement place for those half-kender who do choose to live in one place is in communities where rootlessness is accepted and not too many questions are asked about the past. Wanderlust will eventually force many of them to keep moving, often leaving only an older half-kender base.
Relations: Half-Kender never quite fit in with any race or community. Non-kender races will consider the Half-Kender to be but a boy growing to manhood. Once an individual gets to know a Half-Kender, they grow suspicious of their true heritage. Half-Kender seem to do well in Kender communities, although they don’t quite fit in there either. Half-Kender tend to be more mature, therefore not fitting in well.
Alignment and Religion: Half-Kender are rebellious by nature, yet they also possess the kender’s innate sense of justice, independence, and freedom. They tend to be Chaotic Good in alignment. Half-Kender have no set religion, although they tend to favor Branchala.
Male Names: Mackenzie, Merric, Tarli, Tobin.
Female Names: Cindel, Serra, Tara, Towani.
Half-Kender Racial Traits
- +2 to One Ability Score: Half-Kender characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
- Medium: Half-Kender are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Half-Kender have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Fearless: Half-Kender receive a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear. Although they do not have the fearlessness of kender, Half-Kender find it much easier to shake off the effects of panic and fright.
- Kender Blood: Half-Kender count as both kender and humans for any effect related to race.
- Keen Senses: Half-Kender receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
- Nimble Fingers: Half-Kender receive a +2 bonus to Disable Device and Sleight of Hand checks.
- Taunt: Like their kender parent, a Half-Kender has an uncanny insight into the motivations and characteristics of other races. Although they do not have quite the mastery of this ability as kender do, a Half-Kender receives a +2 racial bonus on all Bluff checks to taunt someone.
- Weapon Familiarity: Half-Kender are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word "kender" in its name as a martial weapon.
- Languages: Half-Kender begin play speaking Common and Kenderspeak. Half-Kender with high intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic). Half-Kender mingle with many folk, and pick up the languages of friends and enemies alike.