The Dragonlance Canticle Episode 12 – The Movie Discussion

Trampas, Tal, and myself discuss our thoughts about the movie. You could even say it’s our version of the Towers of High Sorcery movie review. Take a listen and find out why.

9 comments

Skip to comment form

• Duke5150 on February 2, 2008 at 5:56 pm

really enjoyed the show, can’t wait to see the movie!

• Steven Carroll on February 6, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Another great show. I finally had a chance to see the movie for myself. Not what I had hoped for, but not nearly as bad as many had made it out to be. Hopefully, if they do make another one, it will be done better.

• kev on February 17, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Great discussion guys!! I appreciated the differing views, but agreement to support the movie no matter what.

• Petri Lautjärvi on February 20, 2008 at 5:08 am

I really enjoyed the show. Sorry to sound like an emotionless git, but I actually laughed a lot when I compared your actual thoughts on the movie to the podcast from after GenCon when you were all full of expectations and then they all crashed down around you (well, not really, but seriously, the movie wasn’t what you had expected was it?) I myself didn’t like the movie, though there were some good moments in there (like Kiefer saying “She’s channeling the power of a god you dolt! I’m wresting arcane energies from the very fabric of the universe, it’s completely different!”), I was very disappointed with most of the voice acting and almost all of the animation. Though seeing Kit at the end was a plus :p

1. Trampas, saying this hearkens back to He-Man is an INSULT to He-Man! One of the best things about He-Man was its animation quality. I’ve been watching it lately, and I’m actually amazed it was so good. I guess I want to see the Dragonlance movie, but I’m worried about the visual disappointment.

• Anthony on April 9, 2008 at 6:33 pm

While harsh, I thought all of your comments and insites were completely correct. Especially that the score was the best part of the entire movie. The first time I watched it, I just sat there through the credits and listened to the score.
    I agree with Talithas in that Flint’s character in that movie was ruined by the changing of his most important lines. I can’t remember but did he make the comment “well all we have are disks from some ancient goddess and a frail mage with a few new spells”? I don’t recall him saying that? If they left that out, his character is totally lost. His character is so important as he sums up the situation for those that get lost in Tanis’s ramblings or Raistlin’s cryptic observations. Though like you all, I love Dragonlance and still love the movie.

• Anthony on April 9, 2008 at 7:03 pm

By the way, does anyone know when the official movie soundtrack is going to be released? I will pick that up right away even if I have to be on a ramen noodle diet for that week. Haha.

• Valharic on April 10, 2008 at 10:20 am

It’s coming out May 13th on iTunes. WE’re planning to interview Karl Pruesser right around that time to discuss it. Here’s a link to the DL forums that talks about it.

-Valharic

• Chup@Cabra on June 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Well, my random thoughts on the movie:

I personally liked it well enough, and also, like many, thought it could have been much better.

Realistically, though, I don’t know if something like the Dragonlance Chronicles has enough support behind it, fandom wise, to justify another attempt at a straignt-to-DVD movie, much less a true theatrical attempt.

While the books may have been great best sellers, no fantasy movie outside the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy has ever been a ‘blockbuster’.

Also, even though I am a long time DL fan (fallen off from reading the various novels for many years though), I’ve got to admit there are some similarities between DL and LotR that would make fans outside the genre think that DL was ripping off LotR.

I also think they should have stayed away from the 3D draconians, although 3D work for the dragons wasn’t a bad idea.

I ouldn’t mind seeing a better sequel, all that being said.

Oh, and one final comment: I don’t think they overdid Tika’s ‘attributes’ ^_^

The scene in question lasted less than 30 seconds (when Caramon first sets eyes on her in the tavern), and as I recall wasn’t done agaon throughout the movie.

I’ve seen MUCH worse in some of the ‘standard’ anime out there 🙂